Monday, July 25, 2016

For my Son

Tomorrow, you will start a new chapter in your life, and so many thoughts and memories flood my mind.  Memories from when you were an infant, to your first day of school (and every day in between and how you busted your butt to graduate high school in time.  Memories of picking you up at the airport when you flew to Germany to meet me.  Memories of family vacations....Disney World, Disney Land, Paris, Berlin, Asheville, camping, fishing, etc.  Memories of you riding your bike for the first time, your dad trying to teach you how to swim, and you holding your baby brothers (you only prayed for one but got 3!).


And I can honestly say that I am not ready for this change.  I am not ready to let you go out into this big giant world alone.  I am not ready to move across the country and to leave you here in Texas to tackle this giant world by yourself.  Most of all, I am not ready to let you go.

I know that you feel that you are ready, but you will always be my little baby.  You will always be the one that needed your mom in your infancy.  You will always want to hold my hand.  You will always want my help with homework.   You will always love my cooking more.  You will always want my help.



Like so many mothers before me, I am not ready for you to take this step into adulthood, and like so many mothers after me, they won't be either.  But like every mother, I am super proud of you, and the man you have become.  As I watch you make grown-up decisions like choosing an apartment, choosing a college, and voting in your first Presidential election, all I can think about is how proud I am of you.

Just like I promised you to always try my best to be a good mom, I want to make these promises to you now:

1) You can always come home.  If things get tough, do not ever think that you can never come home. There is no shame in starting over.  My door is always open to you.

2) I will alway pray for you.  I will pray for your safety, your education, and that you will make wise decisions.

3) I will never stop loving you.

4) I will always be here to help you if you need it.

So tomorrow, while you take this journey alone, without me holding your hand, please remember that I love you, and you will always be my baby, my first born.  You will always hold a special place in my heart.   I love you, and may God always keep you.





2 comments:

  1. Oh Melissa! You've got the tears pouring! This was absolutely beautiful! I know I will too one day feel this way, and I know I will cry. But I know you, a very strong woman, and you and Shawn have raised him right! This was very beautiful! Thank you for sharing this with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. This has been the hardest week for me but I know that he will be ok.

      Delete