Sunday, May 29, 2016

Let Them Say Thank You!



Every year on social media, the memes come out that say something to the idea of: Here we go again, people confusing Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.

Those stupid little memes actually bug me more than people sending me a message on FB or on my phone thanking me for my service, and here's why:

1) I deployed twice to a combat zone.  I very well could be mourned on Memorial Day and not here to say I appreciate the thought, or thank you for your support.

2) I feel that if they are thanking me for my service on Memorial Day, or any day for that matter, they realize the sacrifice that I could have made and did make.

3) I know that at any time that I could be called to go into combat again, and I am quite willing to go, and to know that I may not come home the next time.

4) When private civilians tell you thank you, it's not that they are ignorant and can't tell the difference between the two Holidays, they are aware of the sacrifice that service members make, and are willing to make.

When someone is telling you "Thank you for your service." turn to them and simply reply "Thank you for your support."  Be humble.  Don't be an arrogant fool and reply, "Well, this Holiday isn't for me, it's for my fallen brothers and sisters."  They already know that.  You, as an active duty service member, Veteran, or Reservist signed up to defend this country that we love.  And you, very well, could at any time make THAT sacrifice.

And before I go, I just want to say this: Remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.  Say a toast, prayer, or have a drink for them.  Remember them in your own way.

And remember that if someone tells you "Thank you for your service." just remain humble, and 'forward' that "Thank you" to your friends that never came back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment