Monday, May 23, 2016

No Support for Vets....Wait.....What?

Yes, you read the title right.....there is surprisingly little support for Veterans of North Carolina.

A lot of you reading this probably think that Veterans aren't special, that they don't deserve special treatment, and you know what....I'm not going to stop you from thinking that way.  Some may think that Veterans are ungrateful, and want something for nothing, and again, I'm not going to stop you from thinking that way.

But, what I am going to do is say this:  Did you join any branch of the military?  Have you ever left your family behind to fight a war that most American's didn't understand, and possibly never come home again?  Have you ever have a job that took a toll on you not only mentally, but physically as well so that when you were done with your 4, 8, 12, or 20 years, you physically can not run, or lift your children, or have to get someone to move heavy objects for you while you stand by and watch?

I know, I know, you naysayers are thinking that I didn't have to choose this life.....but do you know what?  I did.  And so did less than 1% of all Americans.....we chose this life (especially after the draft was discontinued in the 70's) to serve our country.  That is a very small percentage of the American population to serve this country.  And many of you may think that we don't deserve what little bit of recognition, or thanks, or whatever that we may get from time to time.  You naysayers that sit behind your computer screens call out Veterans for asking for what: a small discount on a meal, compensation for injuries that will never go away, a tax break because the money that we could make if we were 100% healthy, we will never make because the military broke us.

You naysayers believe that all that we do is sit at home and collect a disability check and ask for handouts...and so what if we do!  Don't we deserve it....of all people?

I didn't joined the military so that I can ask for handouts when I leave the military.  I didn't join because I think I'm more special and want something for nothing.  I didn't join so that I can go through red tape to get what little compensation for the injuries that I sustained.  (No Veteran should have to go through the ringer to get what little benefits that the country offers us, but we do.)  And I definitely didn't join so that I can leave after 12 years with a long list of injuries that may never heal.

I joined because it is a job.  I joined because it gave me the opportunity to travel the world.  I joined for the education benefits because I came from a poor family and wanted to go to college.  But most of all,  I joined because I wanted to serve.....and to serve selflessly.  I wanted to be a bigger part of something great.  I joined during a war....not with the expectation of never going to war, but because it was something that I wanted to do, and it was something that I prayed about doing before jumping in with both feet.

Will I have to go through mountains of paperwork and red tape to get the benefits that I earned?  Yes, and I will happily do it!  Many of my friends do it daily, and will do it for the rest of our lives.  And we don't do it for the pats on the back, or the "Thank you's."  We do it because we served selflessly.  We got out from behind our computers, left our families behind to do whatever we had to do in not only one, or both conflicts (since 2004), and we did what most of you wouldn't do.  If you asked any of us if we would do it again, most of us (probably about 90%) would do it all again.

So, yes North Carolina, I think I do deserve a much better benefit than a lifetime hunting and fishing license.  But so do my friends who served with me. We don't want much.  We aren't asking for much. But you, North Carolina can do better.

Until later,  thank a Vet and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment